Biking has become increasingly popular in Vancouver for a number of reasons. More people are concerned with the environment and are doing their part to eliminate pollution by limiting their use of automobiles. There are also bicycle enthusiasts and those who are health conscious and this form of transportation is an excellent way to enjoy the beauty of Vancouver.
More people taking part in riding means far more bicycles on the roadways and that has increased the number of bicycle accidents. Unfortunately, many bicyclists who have been injured in accidents don’t realize that they may be entitled to compensation.
Injuries while riding can be quite severe and costly. If you’ve been injured in any form of accident while riding, a bicycle injury attorney can assess your situation and help you get the compensation you’re entitled to.
Get Free Consultation With A Leading Personal Injury Lawyers in BC Area.
Bicycle Accident in Vancouver: Causes
Accidents can happen to anyone. In Vancouver, there are a number of factors that can come into play when you’re injured while riding. A bicycle accident attorney is fully trained in all facets of the law and can assess your case to see if you’re entitled to relief from outside parties.
Here are a few common ways that injuries can occur while riding a bicycle:
- Dips or Defects in the Road. If you’re riding at a high rate of speed, an abnormality in the roadway can cause you to lose control of your bicycle. This is a fairly common occurrence and it’s more prevalent during inclimate weather.
- Caused by or Hit by Automobile. If you’re in an accident with an automobile, the injuries can be severe. There are many causes for this type of accident, from a driver who isn’t paying attention to your own poor judgment with regard to traffic.
- Faulty Bicycle Parts. If there is something wrong with the bicycle or a part is defective, it can cause you to lose control of the bicycle while riding.
- Other Bicyclists. Because there are so many people riding bikes in Vancouver, we’ve seen an increase of accidents between multiple riders in a congested roadway.
- Nature. Weather conditions and other flukes of nature can cause you to have an accident.
Not all bicycle accidents entitle you to compensation. In the following cases you may be entitled to hold another party negligent for your injuries:
- Negligent Drivers. If you’re in an accident with a car, it’s always a good idea to consult a bicycle injury attorney. In some cases, it may not be the driver’s fault but in many cases these accidents are caused by negligence on the driver’s part.
- Vancouver. If the street was damaged in some way or the conditions were needlessly hazardous, Vancouver may be liable for allowing the conditions without any warning to drivers or bicyclists.
Types of Common Bicycle Injury
Injuries from a bicycle accident can range from minor to quite severe. While your rate of speed on a bicycle is often far lower than in a car or on a motorcycle, you’re still largely unprotected from the elements. Most riders only wear a helmet and possible some type of protective gear. Their bodies are left fairly open to injury in the event of any type of impact or a fall.
Some injuries you can experience due to a bicycle accident include:
- Bruises and scrapes. These may be minor or very severe, such as road rash caused by impact to the ground at a high rate of speed.
- Lacerations. This can include minor cuts or gaping wounds. Some lacerations will need prompt medical attention.
- Concussion and Head Injury. Though riders should be wearing a helmet, head injury is still a very common injury from this type of accident. All head injuries should be taken seriously and evaluated.
- Spinal Injury. Spinal injury can be exceptionally serious, even permanent.
- Breaks and Fractures. Broken bones and fractures are possible with a high rate of impact.
- Internal Damage. In some cases, you might experience internal bleeding and other damage to organs from this type of accident.
Why Connect to a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Vancouver
A bicycle accident lawyer in Vancouver can assess your injuries and take an unbiased look at the accident itself. They are fully educated in the law and can assist you in the entire process.
Your lawyer will help you file a claim and explain exactly what type of documentation you need in order to prove your claim. The lawyer will work to prove that you’re entitled to damages and can fully educate you on the type of compensation you can expect in advance. They will also work with you to explain the entire process.
How Do Bicycle Injury Settlements Work in Vancouver?
The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, or ICBC, handles most claims for bicyclists injured when the accident involved an automobile. Many riders don’t even realize that they’re entitled to compensation from the ICBC because they weren’t driving a car. The truth is, if a car is involved, you are likely entitled to damages. The most important thing is that you discuss your accident with a lawyer before talking to ICBC. If you do make the mistake of contacting ICBC before contacting a lawyer, make sure you explain to your bicycle accident lawyer the exact information that was given to the ICBC.
These are not the only types of claims, though they are the most common. It’s also possible that you may have a claim against the bicycle manufacturer or Vancouver. In the case that road conditions which should have been clearly marked or repaired caused your accident, Vancouver might be liable. Your attorney can assess the road and your specific accident and work with you to prove fault. A bicycle manufacturer might be found liable if some part of the bicycle was defective.
In any of these cases, your lawyer will lead you through all the information you need to compile in order to prove your case.
What if I am injured due to a defect on the road in Vancouver?
While you may not be eligible for an ICBC claim because no automobile was involved, you may have a claim against Vancouver for the state of the road. Contact a lawyer to discuss your accident and determine if you may be entitled to damages.
How will a lawyer help me in a bicycle case in Vancouver?
A bicycle accident attorney specializes in these kinds of accidents and can file and help prove your claim.
Can I Use My Family Lawyer to Pursue My Bicycle Accident Claim?
When finding a lawyer to represent you, trust is everything. When you put your legal fate in the hands of a third party, it’s natural to seek those we know. A family lawyer that you have a relationship and a rapport with may seem a logical choice. However, the truth is that bicycle accident claims are a highly specific area of the law. A bicycle accident lawyer has far more experience in these matters. This experience works in your favor, as they’ll know all the documentation you need to file and support your claim.
Is My Bicycle Accident Case a Civil or Criminal Case?
If you’re planning to sue over a bicycle accident, you may be wondering whether the case is civil or criminal. The answer largely depends on the behavior of the other party at the time of the accident. The vast majority of bicycle accidents are civil claims. However, certain sets of circumstances can trigger a criminal case. In British Columbia, these circumstances include DUI incidents, where the other party’s intoxication caused the accident. “Hit and runs” are also criminal cases, as are those caused by reckless driving. Civil cases may be dealt with through ICBC. Criminal cases usually require legal representation.